Tooth stains can become an embarrassment and lead to self-confidence issues. While it may not feel this way, tooth staining is extremely common because multiple factors cause teeth to stain even, with proper dental hygiene. Luckily, there are numerous treatments to counteract staining and give you a confident and bright smile.
Why Do I Have Stained Teeth?
Even if you brush your teeth twice daily, floss, and use mouthwash, you can still experience staining. Many issues cause staining but the majority of patients have the following types of stains:
- Extrinsic stains: These stains are found on the surface of the teeth and are often caused by external factors such as food and drinks like coffee, tea, red wine, and tobacco.
- Stains from aging: This is completely natural and normal. As we age, our teeth become more porous, causing stains to stick to the teeth making them harder to remove.
- Intrinsic stains: This type of stain starts from the inside of the tooth and is caused by aging, certain medications, genetics, or excessive fluoride exposure.
- Dental trauma stains: Even with proper dental hygiene, the unexpected can happen. When a tooth suffers an impact, it can darken or turn gray from damage to the blood vessels and nerves in the tooth.
Regardless of the reason for your tooth staining, McCullough Dental has treatments designed to give you a pearly white smile again.
What Are My Options?
Each dentist will have a different approach to treating tooth stains. Most cases will only need some whitening treatments, but in the case of stubborn stains, your dentist may recommend veneers or a crown.
Whether you want to use take-home trays or do the treatment in the office, both are great options to whiten your teeth professionally. The great part about dental teeth whitening is the ingredients are safe and will not harm your enamel, unlike store-bought kits.
Work with a dental team to get your smile to your desired shade and follow up with them to keep your results long-lasting.
This is a great treatment for teeth that have experienced trauma — you won’t have to worry about teeth stains ever again! Porcelain veneers are completely stain-resistant, so you can enjoy staining foods and drinks without worrying about losing your pearly white smile.
This is a complete smile makeover with permanent results. If you want to design your custom smile without worrying about tooth stains, then porcelain veneers are for you.
This is similar to veneers in the fact that porcelain crowns are an excellent option for trauma-induced stains, and they are completely stain resistant. The porcelain material resists staining allowing, you to have the self-confidence of never changing brightness.
Can Teeth Stains Harm My Dental Health?
The stains themselves probably won’t harm your dental health but they can be an indicator of underlying dental problems that need to be looked at. Tooth discoloration could be from poor dental hygiene which, when left untreated, can result in tooth decay and gum disease.
Even if tooth staining does not bother you, it should be looked at by a dentist to make sure that there are not any health issues concerning the stains.
Can I Prevent Tooth Stains?
Not all tooth stains can be prevented, but following these steps can prevent some forms of tooth stains:
- Avoid staining foods like alcohol, berries, tomatoes, coffee, and tea.
- Brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily, and use an antimicrobial mouthwash.
- Visit the dentist frequently for professional teeth cleanings.
Restore Your Bright Smile!
Tooth stains are a common dental problem that can seem out of your control even with proper dental hygiene care. If you have tooth stains, consult with McCullough Dental today to create a treatment plan for your specific needs.